Corporate Restructuring & Insolvency
IMG’s restructuring and insolvency team is a multi-jurisdictional group of lawyers that provides its clients with timely, practical, and results-driven legal advice all aspects of restructuring and insolvency.
IMG attorneys are widely recognized as market leaders in advising troubled maritime and international trade companies, their management, and their boards. Regardless of the entity's size or corporate structure—public vs. private, domestic vs. international, large vs. small, operationally challenged vs. over-leveraged—these organizations heavily rely on us to advise them through their distressed periods. This experience, coupled with a deep understanding of the needs of clients in this area, means that we have the knowledge, experience and resources to address our clients' restructuring and insolvency needs on a national and international basis.
Restructuring - Legal Services and Solutions
- Corporate restructuring and reorganizations
- Distressed Asset Sales and Acquisitions
- Due Diligence for Strategic Acquirers
- Distressed Debt Trading
- Loan-to-Own Financing Strategies
- Asset Valuation Analysis and Enhancement Strategies
- Advise on Court-Ordered Sales Procedures
- Advise on Post-Acquisition Corporate Governance Issues
Bankruptcy - Legal Services and Solutions
- Chapter 7: Liquidation
- Chapter 11: Reorganization
- Chapter 12: Adjustment of Debts of a Family Fisherman
- Chapter 13: Adjustment of Debts of an Individual
- Chapter 15: Cross-Boarder Cases
Let Us Help
If the burden of debt is affecting your organizations existence or the quality of your personal life – in the form of lost sleep, family and friend issues, and unending stress and anxiety – the attorneys at IMG can help you find the best options for your situation.
Who we work with
IMG serves a diverse client base that includes debtors, lenders, government entities, trustees, shareholders, senior executives, as well as distressed debt and asset buyers and investors. For nearly a decade, our dedicated attorneys have helped clients address financial difficulties in debt crises around the world, which means we have significant experience advising clients on investigation, enforcement, litigation and asset recovery on a multijurisdictional basis.
What is Corporate Restructuring?
Generally speaking, a corporate restructuring is any transaction used to recapitalize or reorganize the capital structure (debt and/or equity) of an legal entity and its subsidiaries outside of a bankruptcy proceeding.
The purpose of these transactions is simply to protect the value of the business and maintain a viable company, which is done by rearranging the entities capital structure in order to reduce the aggregate amount of corporate debt. Another popular method of protecting the value of a distressed business is to renegotiate onerous corporate contracts, working with creditors to extend debt maturities, and/or negotiating with lenders to modify restrictive debt covenants. Please note, however, corporate restructuring is not for the faint hearted business owner or board of directors. For individuals not paying attention, these transactions will transfer control or a significant equity stake to creditors and result in a new governance structure and executive leadership team.
When is it time to Restructure?
There is rarely one single occurrence that leads a small business or corporate entity down the restructuring road. The reality is there are a myriad of variables that can lead a business entity towards restructuring. The following variables, however, are an indication that it might be time to speak with an attorney:
- The business entity is already highly leveraged. The business has an impending debt maturity that it must refinance in order to survive.
- There is a liquidity crisis. The business entity has an urgent need to access to capital in order to keep current with its existing payroll and/or debt obligations.
- An unforeseen event occurs. Think force majeure and acts of God, but in reality this could be anything: a change in the commodity prices, a change in operating expenses, or a sudden decline in demand for the company's products and/or services. Regardless of what the root cause of the event was, the business entity is not able to meet its financial covenants or has a difficult time finding alternative capital markets.
When corporate restructuring is not an option, it is likely time to consider bankruptcy. Once formal insolvency has commenced, we will routinely work with insolvency practitioners to assist in the realization of a company’s assets. This may involve transactional work or litigation to recover antecedent transactions or debts due to the company. We have extensive experience in dealing with the following:
Asset realization including the sale of businesses and the assets of an insolvent company
Asset and debt recovery
Asset investigation and tracing
Foreign asset recovery
The sale of real estate/property
The protection and realization of intellectual property rights
We Can Help
We provide practical, commercial and results-driven advice on a discreet and confidential basis. All assignments will have a nominated lead partner who will be your dedicated point of contact. We will work to your agenda, timescales and budgets to achieve the best outcome. We would expect to be your trusted adviser during the process and our industry knowledge and reputation will facilitate a direct and open dialogue between all stakeholders.
Let us apply our world-class capabilities. We’ll start by getting to know you. You do the talking, we’ll do the listening. Our tailored solutions will help you meet the challenges and opportunities of doing business in the U. S. market, and beyond.
800 Fifth Avenue, Suite 4100
Seattle, WA 98104
Office: (206) 707-8338
Fax: (206) 707-8338