Virtual Litigation Paralegal
IMG is looking for a Paralegal that has a strong work ethic, a meticulous attention to detail, the necessary discipline to work from a remote environment, and has an unrelenting commitment to high performance standards. This individual shall be responsible for maintaining the Firm's litigation docket and calendar for cases, arbitrations/mediations, as well as multi district litigation cases, including underlying and related federal and state court actions. The Paralegal will enter case information, activity, and deadlines in the Firm calendar while following standard Firm document management procedures; review court documents and office correspondence to determine deadlines using applicable rules and calendaring software; communicate and coordinate with IMG's litigation team and Firm clients to review and confirm court deadlines and instructions; assist with review of electronic databases and provide basic court filing and service information; respond to inquiries from attorneys and Firm clients regarding deadlines and case activity; generate calendar reports and queries for IMG's litigation team as requested; and integrate records management processes for managing pleading and court documentation as part of docketing duties.
- Prepare new client engagement letters and fee agreements, assist with conflict checks, organize and maintain client files and contacts.
- Prepare and edit legal documents for filing, including: proofreading, cite checking, blue-booking, formatting, producing tables of contents and authorities, assembling exhibit lists, etc.
- Filing and service of paper and electronic filings.
- Ensuring all court rules are being met.
- Compute and calendar all court deadlines.
- Assist in the collection, processing, and review of incoming and outgoing discovery production.
- Assist attorneys with deposition and hearing preparation, including: organizing document binders, printing exhibits, creating exhibit lists, communicating with court reporters, etc.
- Support attorneys in gaining admission to courts, registration renewals, and creating and managing e-filing accounts.
- Review, organize, and interpret factual and technical information; generate research notes, memoranda, summaries, tables, maps, and other visuals as needed.
- Draft basic pleadings and other case-related documents under attorney supervision, including: case initiating documents, proposed orders, cover letters, FOIA requests, pro hac vice applications, etc.
- Communicate with courts, clients, experts, opposing counsel, and government officials as requested or approved by attorneys.
- Track relevant dockets and issues related to the work of the IMG clients via the Federal Register, agency web sites, various distribution lists, media outlets, etc.
- Communicate with IMG’s litigation team about notable case developments and helping to ensure IMG’s web page and social media sites are all up-to-date.
- Participate in conference calls and meetings when relevant to the position and/or assigned projects.
- General administrative assistance (scanning, proofreading, taking meeting minutes, updating database of case descriptions).
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least five years of paralegal or legal assistant experience in a litigation setting.
- Excellent analytic, legal writing and communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills, and ability to handle demanding responsibilities in a high volume environment.
- Client focused while managing multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with client personnel as well as representatives of other companies and adversaries.
- The ability to organize, set priorities among multiple assignments, meet deadlines, and function calmly under pressure.
- An early riser who works well under extreme pressure of deadlines and unexpected demands— including occasional evening and weekend work.
- An individual who is flexible, punctual, professional, honest, reliable, neat, and composed.
- A good sense of humor is essential.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team, including with remote staff, and to maintain confidential information.
- An individual with emotional intelligence and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Interest in and knowledge of maritime or international trade law issues is a plus.
- Extreme proficiency with Adobe and basic Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Power Point, Excel, etc.).
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Teams and SharePoint (for Case Management).
- Experience with Clio (Billing Software).
- Experience with Westlaw (legal research).
This job is a temp-to-hire position and interested applicants should complete this application form.
Be sure to include the following documents
- One or two-page cover letter that demonstrates competence to work with a diverse group of international clients and colleagues.
- Short writing sample.
- List of three references.